The B-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa that you must obtain if you are coming to the US for tourist travel and similar purposes.
Title 42 ends on May 11th.

B-2 Visa

The B-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa that you must obtain if you are coming to the US for tourist travel and similar purposes.

Rights Provided

A B-2 visa holder can stay in the United States for 6 months, which can be extended up to 1 year.

The B-2 visa holder may engage in the following activities in the United States:

  • Taking a vacation
  • Making tourist visits
  • Visiting friends or relatives
  • Receive medical treatment
  • Participating in social events organized by social organizations, charity associations or service organizations
  • Participating in music, sports or similar activities or competitions as an amateur (someone who is interested in something they are not an expert in because they are interested in it) without receiving any remuneration (e.g. participating in a talent show)
  • Taking a purely recreational course while on vacation (e.g. taking a 2-day cooking course while on vacation)

Do you want to find out if you are eligible for a B-2 visa?

Take our free test now and see your result! Let us contact you!

Start Test

Application Requirements

  • Coming to the US for tourist travel, etc.
  • Your trip must be temporary (e.g. up to 6 months)
  • You must be financially able to pay for transportation and accommodation
  • You must have a residence outside the US that you do not intend to leave, and you must have family ties that will allow you to return to the country of residence after your business trip to the US (e.g. you came to the US to attend a 5-day business meeting. You have residency in Turkey and your spouse and children still live in Turkey).

Family Members

A person coming to the U.S. on a B-2 visa cannot bring family members to the U.S. on a status dependent on the B-2 visa. Each family member who wants to come to the United States with the B-2 visa holder must apply for a B-2 visa separately from the B-2 visa holder.


Frequently Asked Questions

No, it does not. A B-2 visa does not give you the right to work in the United States.

  • Fill out the DS-160 form online.
  • After completing the DS-160 form, go to the US Embassy in Ankara's website and select the "Apply" option on the screen that appears and create an account by entering the applicant's passport number, date of birth and nationality.
  • Review the visa information and select the B-2 visa (non-immigrant visa) according to your purpose of travel.
  • Enter the applicant's credentials.
  • Specify an address or choose a location where you will pick up your documents from the consulate.
  • Pay the visa application fee.
  • Select the appointment date and time.
  • Confirm the appointment date and time.
  • Please check the documents you need to bring with you for your visa interview before your appointment.
  • A valid passport. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the end of your stay in the US(unless exempted by country-specific agreements). If your country is on the list in the link here, your passport does not need to be valid for at least 6 months after the end of your stay in the US, it just needs to be valid for the duration of your stay in the US. (EXAMPLE: Turkey is on this list. Therefore, it is sufficient for Turkish citizens' passports to be valid for the duration of their stay in the US)
  • Passport with the most recent US visa (if available)
  • Approval page of Form DS-160 used to apply for a non-immigrant visa
  • Receipt of payment of the visa application fee
  • One 5 x 5 cm (2 x 2 inch) color passport photo taken within the last 6 months

Yes, you can. You can apply for a marriage-based green card if you married a U.S. citizen or green card holder while in the U.S., or you can apply for an employment-based green card if you have been offered a job at a U.S. employer. To do this, you must file an adjustment of status application with USCIS on Form I-485 before your current status expires.

Applying for a Green Card within 90 days of entering the US on a B-2 Visa may jeopardize your application due to the 90-day rule. Therefore, we recommend that you do not apply for a Green Card within 90 days of entering the United States. For more information on the 90-day rule, visit our guide.

For this, you need to file a "change of status" application to USCIS with Form I-539. However, until your application is approved by USCIS, your current status (tourist status) continues and you must act accordingly.

You must apply for an "extension of status" by submitting Form I-539 to USCIS at least 45 days before the end of your stay.

If you are applying for a B-2 visa for medical treatment, the consular officer may request the following additional documents at your visa interview:

  • Documentation of a medical diagnosis from a doctor in your home country explaining your illness and why you need treatment in the US.
  • A letter from a doctor or medical facility in the U.S. stating that they are willing to treat your condition and detailing the anticipated duration and cost of treatment (including doctor's fees, hospitalization fees, and all medical expenses).
  • Proof that your transportation, medical and living expenses in the US will be paid. This can be in the form of bank or other income/savings statements or certified copies of income tax returns (either yours or the person or organization paying for your treatment).

$160. This is the fee for the DS-160 form, which is mandatory for all non-immigrant visas. There is no other fee.

Contact us now!